Boards & Commissions
The Shelbyville Plan Commission is an Advisory Plan Commission formed under the authority of IC 36-7-4-200 . The roles of the Shelbyville Plan Commission is to maintain the City’s planning documents, regulate development and promote and encourage a well-planned community. The Commission is made of ten appointed members, five appointments by the Mayor, one appointment from the Shelbyville Park Board, one appointment from the Shelbyville Common Council, one appointment by the Shelbyville Board of Public Works and Safety, and the City Engineer
Members of the Shelbyville Plan Commission Include:
- Mike Evans – President – Appointed by the Mayor
- Doug Cassidy – Vice President – Appointed by the Shelbyville Board of Public Works and Safety
- Joe Lux – Appointed by the Mayor
- Barb Lewis – Appointed by the Mayor
- Ben Hall – Appointed by the Mayor
- Wade Lewis – Appointed by the Mayor
- Joanne Bowen – Appointed by the Shelbyville Common Council
- Matt House – City Engineer
- Gary Nolley – Appointed by the Shelbyville Parks Board
- Josh Martin – Alternate – Appointed by the Mayor
The Board of Zoning Appeals is a local body whose responsibilities are to hear (1) petitions for development standards variances, (2) petitions for use variances, (3) petitions for special exception uses, and (4) appeals of decisions, orders, and interpretations of the zoning administrator. This board meets the second Tuesday of every month, at 7:00 pm.
Members of the Shelbyville Board of Zoning Appeals Include:
- Kris Schwickrath – President – Appointed by the Mayor
- Chris Clark – Vice President – Appointed by the Shelbyville Common Council
- James Lisher – Appointed by the Mayor
- Doug Cassidy – Appointed by the Mayor, From the Membership of the Plan Commission
- Wade Lewis – Appointed by the Shelbyville Plan Commission, From Their Membership
- Beth Case – Alternate – Appointed by the Mayor
The Technical Review Committee reviews plans for: Site Development, Subdivisions, Planned Unit Developments, and Road and Sewer projects. For PLan Commission petitions, the Technical Review Committee provides technical guidance that assists all of the Plan Commission members make more accurate decisions.
The Technical Review Committee is comprised of representatives from a majority of City departments and all local utility companies.
The City Departments represented on the committee are:
– City Engineer: Matthew House, PE
– Street Commissioner: Doug Hunt
– MS4 Director: Derrick Byers
– Fire Inspector: Robbie Stonebraker
– Police: Mark Weidner
– Wastewater Plant Supervisor: Bradley Fix
The utility companies represented on the committee are:
Water – Indiana American Water Company
Natural Gas – Vectren
Electric – Duke Energy
Electric – Rush Shelby Energy
Telecommunications – Comcast
Telecommunications – AT&T
Telecommunications – Level 3 Engineering (Fiber Optics)
The Shelbyville Building Commission meets on the second Wednesday of each month at 11:30 am in the Council Chambers upstairs at City Hall.
The Building Commission consists of seven voting members and two non voting members. The Mayor shall appoint the seven voting members, each to serve a term of four years. The Building Commissioner and a representative shall serve as the nonvoting members of the Commission. The appointed members of the Commission must include the following:
1. One building contractor who is registered with the Building Department.
2. One electrical contractor who is the holder of a Class I license.
3. One plumbing contractor who is licensed with the Building Department.
4. One HVAC contractor who is registered with the Building Department.
5. One member shall be a designer of buildings.
6. One member shall be a citizen representative of the city.
7. One member shall be a representative of a local utility company.
Each appointed member of the Commission must have a recognized interest, knowledge, and experience in the field of fire prevention, fire protection, building safety, or other related matters. No two members of the Commission shall be appointed from the same firm. Of the seven members originally appointed, one shall be appointed for a term of one year, two shall be appointed for a term of two years, two for a term of three years, and two for a term of four years, or until a successor is appointed. The members of the Commission serve at the pleasure of the Mayor.
Powers and Duties: It shall be the duty of the Building Commission to:
Act as the appellate board as described in Ordinance 152.16
Issue building contractor registrations as described in Chapter 152, plumbing registrations as described in Chapter 154, and electrical licenses as described in Chapter 155.
Act as the Hearing Authority for Minimum Housing Requirements in Chapter 153, and Unsafe Buildings in Chapter 158.
Approve the annual budget for the Building Department.
Make recommendations to the City Council for changes in fees and ordinances.
Establish department policies and procedures for inspections, permits, licenses and registrations.
Members: Jim Marshall – Chairman, Gary Keppel – Vice Chairman, Matt Wortman – HVAC Contractor, David Rush – Electrical Contractor, Joe Runnebohm – Plumbing Contractor, Tony Nicholson – Designer of Buildings, Danny Sebastian – Utility Rep., Bryant Niehoff – Building Commissioner, Chris Hext – Building Inspector, Rod Miller – Building Inspector.
Previous Meeting Minutes
Approved Minutes for the Plan Commission from the current Calendar Year
|17-04-2019 13:54||83 downloads||1.0||rob|
|01-04-2019 12:54||125 downloads||1.0||rob|
|28-02-2019 16:04||205 downloads||1.0||rob|
|08-02-2019 12:36||243 downloads||1.0||rob|
Board of Zoning Appeals
Approved Minutes for the Board of Zoning Appeals from the current Calendar Year
|16-04-2019 20:08||85 downloads||1.0||rob|
|26-02-2019 22:01||217 downloads||1.0||rob|
|10-01-2019 18:56||325 downloads||1.0||rob|
Technical Review Committee
Approved Minutes for the Technical Review Committee from the current Calendar Year
No files found in this folder.
Approved Minutes for the Building Commission from the current Calendar Year