This page serves to answer some of the common questions we hear in the office. If you don’t see your questions below, or you want further explanation please contact someone on Our Staff or call the office directly at 317-392-5102.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Fences cannot exceed eight (8) feet in height in rear and side yards, and three (3) feet in height in front yards (Illustration defining “Front yard” shown below)
- Fences must be built with the “non-structural” side facing outward
- Fences do not have a required setback from property lines, but it is required that both sides of the fence must be able to be maintained
- Fences built near intersections cannot be built within the Vision Clearance Triangle
- Corner Lots and Through Lots have a “Front Yard” on each side of the property that abuts a public road, and therefore have to maintain a three (3) feet maximum height in these Front Yards
For all other zoning districts, and to see the exact language in the Unified Development Ordinance, follow this link.
Front Yard Illustrations
Left: Illustration showing the front yards on a corner lot; Right: Illustration showing the front yard on a standard lot
How do I get a meter back on a building after it has been removed by Duke Energy?
1. Contact a licensed electrical contractor to pull a reconnect permit.
2. After the contractor has pulled a permit, they will perform the work to ensure the meter base is properly installed and connected according to current codes.
3. The contractor will then call a City Inspector to inspect the work and report to Duke that a meter can be placed on the building again.
How Do I Get Power Turned Back On If I Still Have A Meter on My Building?
Contact your electric company directly, they will be able to start a new account and schedule to get your electric service turned back on.